Many people want to neglect Grapefruit due to it posessing such a bitter taste.
I thought after posting this info on how you can benefit from Grapefruit, that you may indeed want to start including it into your daily meals.
If you cannot handle the taste right off, just simple add , splenda for instance, and daily cut down on the amount of the sweetner you use . You will find that it isn't that bad at all once you eat it plain......
Grapefruit is very popular among the citrus family due to its flavour and refreshing qualities. It is an excellent health-builder and appetizer as it promotes salivary and gastric digestion. More than 20 varieties of grapefruit have been propagated in the United States. Nutritional value of the fruit varies with colour (white, pink, or red). Red and pink grapefruits have high amount of vitamin A, potassium(325mg), folate(25 micrograms), calcium(40mg), and iron(1mg). Other health benefits of the fruit includes:
- Citric acid of fresh grapefruit juice has an alkaline reaction that increase the alkalinity in the body. The fruit juice has been found useful in treating many diseases caused by too much acid in the body system.
- Grapefruit is a rich source of pectin. Pectin is a soluble fibre that helps to lower blood cholesterol.
- Pink and red grapefruits contain high amount of lycopene. Lycopene is an antioxidant that is know for lowering the risk of prostate cancer.
- Grapefruit stimulates appetite and posses unique ability to burn away fat, for many years people have used the fruit to lose weight.
- Prevent and treat diabetes - eating grapefruit can help people lose weight which in turn can decrease the risk for diabetes.
- Grapefruit peel is rich with pectin which is used for the preservation of other fruits. The peel oil can also be use as soft-drink flavouring.
- The pulp of grapefruit is valuable in relieving constipation. When wholly taken, it supplies healthy bulk to aid bowel action.
- The bitter properties of grapefruit can remove the burning sensation of fever and is excellent remedy for influenza.
- Grapefruit contain natural ‘quinine’ which is used to treat malaria. This ‘quinine’ can be extracted by boiling a quarter of a grapefruit and straining the pulp.
- The protective plant chemicals found in grapefruits induce the production of enzymes that help to prevent cancer.
- Grapefruit juice inhibits a special enzyme in the intestines that is responsible for the natural breakdown and absorption of many medications.
- Eating grapefruit daily seems to alleviate rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, and other inflammatory disorders symptoms.
- Grapefruit juice is extremely rich in vitamin C and potassium. Therefore, it is used as a medicine in scanty urination caused by kidney, liver and heart disorders.
- Grapefruit is a natural source of soluble dietary fiber that offers many health benefits.
Grapefruit juice can boost anti-cancer drug.
Info obtained from: http://www.grapefruit-diet.org/grapefruit_health_benefit.htmEating grapefruit can benefit weight loss in many ways. They are low in calories, low in sodium, high in potassium and high in fat burning enzymes. These can benefit weight loss in different ways. The low calories means we can eat grapefruit freely without consuming too many calories. A low sodium intake helps flush away excess water weight caused from high sodium foods. And, the enzymes present in grapefruit help increase fat burning.Another positive benefit of eating grapefruit is the high water content. Grapefruits are almost 90 percent water. Eating any fruit with a high water content helps boost water ingestion and research has shown that increasing water consumption can give more energy and help increase the metabolism. Many people are discovering the benefits of eating high water foods like grapefruit and many other fruits for help in losing weight.http://www.weightlossforall.com/benefits-eating-grapefruit.htm